BRAISED LAMB NECK, CRUSHED APPLE AND SAVOURY PRALINE
By Lane Head Chef, James Brinklow
BRAISED LAMB NECK
2kg lamb necks
1/2 bottle dry white wine
2L lamb or chicken stock
2 brown onions
1/2 head celery
4 cloves garlic
8 black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 granny smith apples
juice of 1 lemon
20g caster sugar
130ml olive oil
8g microplaned garlic
1 tsp sweet paprika
pinch of cayenne
BRAISED LAMB NECK
1. Preheat the oven to 160C fan-forced or 180C conventional.
2. Add a good splash of oil to a large oven proof dish over medium heat. Add the lamb necks and brown all over, seasoning a little as you go. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the onion, garlic and remaining chopped ingredients and saute until well caramelised. Return the lamb to the dish and add your white wine. Reduce over a high heat by half, cover your necks with the stock and bring to the boil. Cover your pot and place in the oven for 3-4 hours or until the meat is coming away from the bone with ease.
4. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature in the liquid. Once cooled, remove from the liquid and pull apart the meat into a bowl and season to your liking, place meat into a terrine mould or roll into a log and wrap tightly in cling film, place in the refrigerator until set.
5. Strain the reserved liquid through a fine sieve into a pot and reduce until the liquid coats the back of a spoon, set aside.
1. Peel the apples and cut into quarters, toss in a bowl with the lemon juice and sugar. place in a small pot and cook over a low heat until 1/2 cooked, turn the apples into a blender and pulse until roughly crushed, set aside.
1. Roast all together until golden brown. Cool and pulse in blender until coarse.
Remove your lamb from the mould and cut into portions of your liking (around 150g - 180g). Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil and caramelise one side of the lamb for 4-5 mins over a medium heat, then place in the oven @ 180 degrees for 8 mins until warmed through.
Place on your bowl or plate & spoon three small piles of apple on & around the lamb, next place 2 tablespoons of savoury praline onto the lamb & apple dress with a couple of baby radishes & some fennel or dill sprigs and pour a small amount of the reduced liquid over the lamb.